Dr J D – Chartered Educational Psychologist
I am able to undertake various cognitive and attainment assessments to clarify the level of any learning difficulties. These would include WIAT Second UK Edition, DASH 17+ Speed of Handwriting, WISC IV, WAIS IV and BAS III; I also have experience of assessing young people’s needs for college and university. Given my significant experience of working with children and young people with severe and complex needs, I can also carry out adaptive behaviour assessments (e.g. communication, daily living and socialisation skills) using the Vineland Adaptive Behaviour Scales II.
I have a broad experience of working with children, young people and young adults within my private practice. This includes experience of working with and assessing children and young people with:
• Autistic Spectrum Disorder
• Severe and complex learning difficulties
• General learning difficulties
• Specific learning difficulties
• Social, emotional and behavioural difficulties
• Physical and medical difficulties
Through both my private and Local Authority work, I fully recognise the need for assessments to be holistic and thorough which may include the need to liaise with partner agencies/professionals and completing observations alongside more formal assessment. Whenever possible, obtaining the view of the child/young person (whatever their age) is also central to any assessment. Furthermore, gathering parental views and information is also very important.
I am able to provide Expert Witness Reports for such areas as:
• Disputes with Local Education Authorities
• Statement of Special Educational Needs disputes
• Educational tribunals
Civil and Criminal proceedings
• Assessment of a person’s functional ability in relation to PACE.
• Is the person vulnerable?
• Has he/she understood the caution?
• Is the evidence he/she has provided potentially unreliable?
AREA OF EXPERTISE
In addition to my generic work, I have a particular specialism and interest in working with children/young people with severe and Complex Needs. I have gained this specialist experience and knowledge through the following:
• Being the link Educational Psychologist (LA) for 3 Special School provisions which cater for children and young people aged between 3 and 19 years old, with severe and complex needs.
• Being one of the lead LA Educational Psychologists for children and young people with severe and complex educational and additional learning needs.
• Educational Psychology representative on the Transition Eligibility Panel led by Social Services regarding access to the Disabled Children’s Team (DCT) and Community (Adult) Support Team.
I have also recently been appointed the link Educational Psychologist for a new post 16 autistic provision in my LA for young people (16 to 19) with severe and complex learning difficulties. Furthermore, I have also been tasked with moving forward LA Educational Psychology practices with 16 to 25 year olds with learning difficulties.
2009 Doctorate in Applied Educational Psychology, Nottingham University
2004 Post Graduate Certificate in Education, York College of Ripon & St John
2003 BSc (Hons) Psychology Degree, First Class, Middlesex University
Also awarded the John Ives prize for my final Research Dissertation
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
Expert Witness Accreditation, Civil Law – Cardiff University and Bond Solon (2014)
Expert Witness Accreditation, Criminal Law – Cardiff University and Bond Solon (2014)
Chartered Psychologist (British Psychological Society)
Registered Educational Psychologist (Health and Care Professionals Council; HCPC)
Member of the Association of Educational Psychologists (AEP)
CURRENT LA EMPLOYMENT
(2009 – PRESENT: EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGIST (XXXX LA))
I have a broad experience within the LA of working with children and young people from age 18 months to 19 years old, and have experience of working in special schools (see below) and learning support classes.
Areas of work covered include:
• Working at an individual, group and strategic level (whole school and LA)
• Interventions including Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Motivational Interviewing and
• Solution-focus Brief Therapy and Questioning
2007 – 2009 Trainee Educational Psychologist, Nottinghamshire LA EPS
2005 – 2006 Teacher, Oundle Primary School, Northamptonshire
2004 – 2005 Teacher, Fosse Way Primary, Lincolnshire
1986 – 1995 Royal Air Force, Various Locations